November 2, 2011

SFI test


I am extremely sleepy, but also extremely happy!

Therefore I can’t wait till tomorrow to post this. I just received my first result of a test in Swedish and it’s 97 out of 99 points. It is nice to actually see the progress on the paper. But I cannot believe I have never said anything about Swedish language or learning it. That has to change! And it will - tomorrow when I wake up I am going to write about it.

Till then, I am going to curl into my bed and dream happy things, in Swedish of course.

So, as I said - continuation of last night’s post.
As you might know by now, getting into SFI course can only be compared with the search for apartment in Sweden. For you who are unfamiliar with it, SFI is abbreviation of Swedish for Immigrants - free course in Swedish provided for people who stay in the country longer than 1 year. As in any other public service you will have to queue in order to get in. For me it was 12 months sharp, but some people get in faster. It helps if you AREN’T a student or if you ARE pregnant. Anyway, once you are in the fun starts! My experience is very positive. I did a test first day of the course that placed me to a C level (basic levels start with A, end with a D). The teacher was great, but it didn’t feel right for me and I had a feeling it will be a waste of time to go there. Therefor I switched to level B and downgraded myself. Best decision ever! Not only that in this level we are studying grammar, but also we have a lot of tests that keep me focused on what we are doing.

One thing I’ve tried before SFI was a “talking” group at Landala Torg. It is a group of elderly Swedish people who wish to help you with learning the language. As much as I like them, for a beginner it doesn’t do a lot. But for somebody with basic knowledge, going to a group like this can be just the thing he or she needed. Though in my case, I prefer to practice my Swedish in a pub or a club. Much more interesting and fun J

Last option - Folk University http://www.folkuniversitetet.se/Har-finns-vi/Goteborg/. Students have a discount of 20% I believe when they wish to learn a language. It is the best option, but the most expensive one and sometimes too much for a student budget. Though, if you are only on exchange and with to learn a little bit of the language, this is the best option for you.

One final thing. You can learn Swedish by translating material for school. I am currently working on a project with a psychiatric hospital as a client and all the material is in Swedish. My vocabulary is growing fast, but unfortunately I won’t have anywhere to apply the knowledge since it is mostly about mental illnesses and healthcare issues.

Or is it fortunately?