December 21, 2011

Where is the snow?




Christmas is coming and everybody is in a state of euphoria about it. Going home, wandering around the city, enjoying the lovely decorations and buying presents for the family. Myself, I am only enjoying the looks of it since, being Ortdox, my Christmas is in January.

First comes the New Year and all the drama about “where, with whom, what and how” that the night brings. Then you have a couple of days to feel better after hardcore partying and it’s Christmas time! Of course I love white Christmas the best, but this year chances of snow are so low. My belief in global warming is growing day by day.

Nevertheless, Gothenburg is in the holiday mood.

I was writing an email to a ESN friend from Innsbruck about sightseeing in Gbg. And I have realized that I know so much about it even though I have never spent time learning this information. It is one of the many perks a city like Gothenburg has – making you feel like you lived in it forever and everything is well-known. During Christmas, it is so nice to walk around like a tourist, with a camera and eager eyes that search for something new. Everything is lit with so many different decorations, glowing crowns, small lights, different colors. A walk in Avenyn becomes simply magical. And Liseberg with its trees that shimmer with over four million sparkling Christmas lights, an ice rink and a large Christmas market – perfection. The biggest free-fall ride Atmosfear has a huge star on top if it and it is visible from my window. Perfect for dreaming and having one wish every night.

If you are coming to Goteborg during these holidays, here is the site with all the useful information
http://www.goteborg.com/sv/Gora/Gora-Startsida/

Look at the pictures, the one I have posted is from this site. You can feel the holiday spirit even in the still shots.

Last, but not least, check this out. It’s a project for the vision people of Gothenburg have for their city. Among others you can see some people I know from architecture studies. It is nice to see everybody involved and caring. As I think I said before, Swedish people care a lot about where they live and how they live, so projects like this aren’t a novelty.
http://www.goteborg2021.com/