January 5, 2012

Tips when flying in to Göteborg


Today was a very intense day! I was returning home from my apartment only to find that someone broke in!!! My parents were on a vacation (cut short after what had happened) and I wasn’t at home for two days. It is a lucky coincidence that I was out last night, I don’t wish to know what would have happened if they had broken in while I was sleeping. Then I had to wait for the police to come and swipe for fingerprints and so on. I have to admit it was interesting to see all the equipment you usually get to know about only from tv-shows. However, I really dislike the occasion for learning more about forensics. I had to leave a friend in the flat to wait for my parents since the door couldn’t close and I had to hurry up to the airport. There the flight was delayed, so we embarked on the journey one hour later than planned. Since I had such a “wonderful” day it was only fair that something good happens. And it did - I was seated in the exclusive seats of Wizzair. Flight attendant put me there to talk with the English/Swedish speaking people, but since there weren’t many I spent the flight sleeping. I must admit that having a bigger more comfortable seat and a lot of leg space is nice. Also, being next to the window I was able to see both Belgrade and Gothenburg in the night. Amazing views, both cities are so different from the air!

After that nothing out of the ordinary happened on my way to the flat and I am grateful, very grateful for it.
But this journey back to Sweden reminded me of my first flight to the unknown city of Gothenburg. I was year and a half younger and without any experience when it comes to living and traveling alone.

TIPS:
Let’s see how it is when you arrive to Gbg from the air. I am guessing that a lot of exchange or master students that are coming this semester are doing it by plane. There are two airports in Gothenburg: the big one called Landvetter airport and the small city airport called Säve (or just City airport). All the low-cost flights arrive at the city airport and the “normal” ones use Landvetter. First time I flew to Sweden with bags and bags of luggage, I came to the big one. It is actually not BIG, but compared to the other one it seems huge. It is simple enough to find your way on both of them, just follow the signs, both in Swedish and English.

Transportation from the airport to the city is simple as well. I wouldn’t take the cab since it is too expensive here (and this goes for the cab in the city as well). From my experience, buying a Flygbussarna ticket online is the best option http://www.flygbussarna.se/ You can print it or save it on your smartphone and just show it in the bus. Check the bus route and don’t be afraid if there is no time table available. They are going on every 15 minutes or so. Also, if you are planning to live at Olofs, Ostkupan or Johanneberg area, go out at Korsvägen instead of the city center (for people coming from Landvetter). You can buy the ticket on board using your card or inside the airport. I don’t think they accept cash inside the bus.

The last stop from both airports is the Nils Ericson terminal. Once you are there, buy the Västtrafik ticket inside the round Kiosk on Drottningtorget =Central Station. It is the transportation card you will use while in Gbg. On their site you can find a lot of useful information http://www.vasttrafik.se/en/ That is also the place where you will check the timetables of trams and how to get from point A to point B. If you are arriving late, check on the site to see if there will be any trams at all. If you don’t wish to buy the ticket, you can pay with your phone. Just send a GV to 72450 (under 25, you have to check the code if you are older on the boards at every tram stop).

If you aren’t using a monthly card, each ticket is valid for a period of 90 minutes from the moment you have activated it. You can switch transport during those 90 minutes.

These two map providers are the best when searching for an address in Sweden. Of course you can use Google maps as well. http://www.eniro.se/ or http://www.hitta.se/

If you have any more questions about your way on the very first day (accidental rhyme hahaha), you can ask me or send an email to CIRC info@circ.chalmers.se They are the reception committee that greets all the Chalmerists.

Have a safe flight and see you next semester,
Ivana